Tuesday 18 December 2007

How could I be otherwise?


maggie and milly and molly and may
went down to the beach (to play one day)
and maggie discovered a shell that sang
so sweetly she couldn't remember her troubles, and
milly befriended a stranded star
whose rays five languid fingers were;
and molly was chased by a horrible thing
which raced sideways while blowing bubbles: and
may came home with a smooth round stone
as small as a world and as large as alone,
For whatever we lose (like a you or a me)
it's always ourselves we lose in the sea
e e cummins (selected poems 1923 - 1958)
I am happy, for I have known happiness in my life and I have known love. I feel love. I am loved.
How could I be otherwise?

1 comment:

Flora Dora Dobson said...

Sara please could you tinker with the entry I couldn't get to 'edit' after I posted and the line beneath ee cummins needs to be dropped a space and the final line lifting to make just one paragraph. Thank you lovely.